I am so happy to have grilling weather back. To me, it is one of the easiest ways to entertain. Put together a few salads (which can be made ahead of time) and throw your meat and maybe your veggies on the grill when guests arrive and you are all set to go. I’ve been making a lot of kebabs lately for their variety and ease. I marinate my meat, seafood and/or vegetables a day ahead and skewer them and place them back in the fridge before guests arrive. I recently served these shrimp and andouille sausage skewers and they were a huge hit. You can even make cute little grilled hot dog and tator tot skewers for the kids.
RECIPE: Shrimp and Sausage Kebabs with a Smoky Paprika Glaze
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbs thyme, chopped
- 5 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 tsp Sherry wine vinegar
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb. uncooked large shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1 lb. andouille sausage, cut into 1″ long chunks
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion, cut into 2 layer wedges
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the first 8 ingredients and set aside.
- Alternately thread shrimp, sausage chunks, tomatoes, and onion wedges on to the skewers.
- Place the skewers on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Cover and chill skewers and bowl of glaze.
- Heat grill on medium-high heat. Brush skewers on both sides with the glaze. Grill until shrimp are cooked through, turning and brushing occasionally with more glaze. Cook for about 6 to 8 minutes.
* Kebabs can be assembled and stored in the refrigerator up to 6 hours ahead of time.
For more recipes and entertaining tips from Zareen visit her blog Cooking with Z.