Disclosure: I was provided with a variety of Giant Brand products to facilitate this review. All opinions are 100% my own.
Back to school means back to packing lunches for your kiddos! But packing lunches doesn’t have to be a pain – or unhealthy. With the help of Giant Food Stores, packing health conscious AND delicious foods for your kids has never been easier. Giant’s own brand of food products are the solution to cost and nutrition conscious meal decisions for your family!
For a quick and easy high energy after school snack for your kids (or you!), try Giant protein bars, a fresh banana with Giant Nature’s Promise peanut butter or a mix of Giant brand whole grain cereal, sunflower seeds, almonds and raisins (my kiddos’ favorite). Giant’s own in-store nutritionists offer these other wholesome snack suggestions:
a mini whole wheat bagel with a slice of low-fat cheese
- apple slices and string cheese
- a hard-boiled egg and a piece of fresh fruit
- 1/4 cup almonds and 5 dried apricots
- 6 ounces low-fat yogurt and 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 2 slices of turkey and a thick slice of tomato on 1 slice of whole wheat bread
- 1/4 cup hummus and 1 cup of baby carrots
- toasted English muffin, drizzled with pizza sauce and sprinkled with part-skim mozzarella and chopped vegetables
And don’t forget about dinner! Check out the latest copy of Savory, Giant’s own culinary magazine for helpful tips and amazing recipes to keep your family happy and healthy. You can also search for and save recipes by creating an account with Giant’s online recipe center. In addition, Giant’s nutritionists offer these tips for taking the stress out of mealtimes:
- Plan the week’s meals ahead of time, taking advantage of coupons and bonus buys in the weekly circular
- Plan dinners based on MyPlate – include a veggie, protein and a starch
- Go big or go home! When preparing meals on the weekends, double or triple the recipe and stock your freezer!
- Cook extra chicken or meat and use throughout the week in salads, soups and wraps
- Buy in-season produce and stock up during sales. Cook large batches of veggies to use throughout the week with pre-cooked chicken and a grain!
- Frozen veggies are a quick and easy side dish
- Beans are a great lean protein that can replace meat in many recipes!
- Slow cookers are an excellent way to prepare healthy meals ahead of time
If you are interested in scheduling a consultation with an in-store nutritionist to discuss a healthy meal plan tailored to your family’s needs, click here. You can also find Giant on Facebook and Twitter.
Don’t miss out on your chance to win a $25 Giant/Martin’s gift card! Enter our giveaway below. Good luck!